Monday 26 October 2009

Marit’s Gluten Free Version of Paola’s 5-4-3-2-1 Apple Cake



It’s more to converting a recipe to gluten free than merely replacing ordinary wheat flour with the gluten free kind, so being a little inventive is par for the cause.
In making up this recipe I did have to add a little extra milk, as gluten free flour absorbs liquid quicker than wheat flour. Paola suggested that we could replace some or all of the sugar with honey, or add some pureed apple to the cake mixture. I’ll try that out next time I make the cake.
Paola is right in pointing out that it is a fool proof recipe. I didn’t make any mistakes, and it was so good that I had to make it two days running, to make sure everyone got a taste.

Gluten Free 5-4-3-2-1 Apple Cake

5 tbsp gluten free self raising flour (if you’ve only got plain flour, add an extra 1 tsp of baking powder and 2 med eggs, rather than 1 lge)
4 tbsp Demerara sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp semi skimmed milk
1 lge egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch cinnamon
The original called for a pinch of salt, but I avoid using salt in cakes, so omitted it.

For the Topping:

1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped finely (or you could use thin slices)
A little sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top of the cake – but be sparing.


Put everything in a bowl and beat well, then pour into an 8”-20cm sandwich tin (greased and dusted with a little gluten free flour). Bake at 180C (fan oven) for ca 25 minutes.


Tip: Use a loose bottomed sandwich tin as this cake is very light and needs to be turned out gently.

Did you know that… The English word ‘cake’ can be traced back to the 13th century and that it derives from the Old Norse word 'kaka' (modern Norwegian = kake).

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Marit! This recipe was given to me in 1984 by a lady who was helping out when I was expecting my third child and had such severe morning sickness that I could hardly face the kitchen: anything I made for the two little ones had to be extremely quick and easy! And my third is the one who makes it most often now.

    ReplyDelete