Thursday 17 September 2009

Gluten-Free Yorkshire Pudding


The first gluten-free Christmas was the first time I really missed Yorkshire Pudding. Being a vegetarian, I looked forward to the customary nut-roast, but that was off the menu, too, as it contained breadcrumbs. It hadn’t dawned on me that my plate would also be devoid of the usual Yorkshire Pud. Thankfully one of my girls had made an alternative nut-roast, so dinner was still enjoyable.
Many a Christmas has passed since then, and it’s only now that I have found a recipe where gluten-free flour can be used to make a very good pudding indeed.
Why did it take so long? I just didn’t think of it as a possibility, until I decided to put together a collection of gluten-free recipes, but then it struck me as a good place to start. After all, Yorkshires can be used as starters/canapés, as part of a main meal, and as a dessert. All three at the same sitting might be a bit of an overload, though.

Basic Gluten-Free Yorkshire Pudding Recipe:

Preparation time approx. 10 minutes
Cooking time, approx, 20 minutes, in pre-heated oven (210C, Gas 7)
This quantity should make 10 individual puddings, using muffin tins.

2 oz (50g) corn flour
2 oz (0g) gluten-free flour (I use Dove)
A pinch of salt if desired. I never add salt, but a pinch of an appropriate herb - say Sage, if you’re serving with roast chicken - is a good idea.
3 medium eggs, beaten (organic, free range really do taste better)
¼ pint (140ml) milk (semi-skimmed is fine)

2 tblsps vegetable oil, to grease tins.

Place oil in tins, just under a teaspoonful in each tin, and heat for a few minutes.

Mix corn flour and gluten-free flour in a bowl and add pinch of salt or herbs, as desired.
Add the beaten eggs and beat well to form a nice, thick batter.
Add milk gradually and mix until a smooth batter is formed,
Divide evenly in tins and cook until nicely risen and golden brown.

Tip: Add a tsp of gluten free baking powder to the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment