Friday 18 September 2009

A Little Snack: Beetroot Salad


I was given some lovely homegrown beetroot the other day, and although I like pickled beetroot, my favourite way of eating it is as 'beetroot salad'. My mother used to buy tubs of it specially for me whenever I visited them in Norway, and although I haven't been able to replicate the flavour exactly, plain boiled beetroot, chopped finely and mixed with light mayonnaise hits the spot for me (check the mayo for gluten).
Beetroot is also an excellent source of iron - and as I have longstanding chronic anaemia because of rheumatoid arthritis - I can do with a bit of a boost.


Did you know that he Romans considered beetroot an aphrodisiac? It might just be something in that, as it contains copious amounts of boron, which is important in the production of sex hormones.
It also contains betaine, a substance to relax the mind, which is also used to treat depression. Better still (and perhaps this is why I like it so much), it contains trytophan, which is also found in chocolate. Trytophan contributes to a sense of well being.

I’ve got my stash of beetroot for the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds delicious, Marit. My gran has a wonderful recipe for a herring salad with beetroot. Lovely combination, too.

    ReplyDelete