Thursday 24 September 2009

Kristina's Carrot Soup



With thanks to Kristina for kindly letting me use her recipe. She didn’t let it go easily! She’s inventive in the kitchen, like her grandmother, and when I had to wave farewell to the potatoes in my soups, she changed to brown rice. It acts as a thickener and ‘rounds’ the flavour off, too. She often brings down a jug of soup for our lunch, so this is the first time I’ve actually made it.

I had a dishful of carrot thinnings out of the garden, some the size of baby carrots and some even smaller, and my first thought was ‘carrot soup!’ Although I was supposed to chop them before cooking, these were so small that I could fry them whole (as cooking them whole is the healthiest way to cook them), after topping and tailing. I just washed them and popped them into the hot olive oil, together with the onion.



Aleksander enjoying nanny's carrot soup!


Kristina’s Carrot Soup

1 onion
8 medium carrots (or the equivalent in different sizes)
1 litre/2 pints of vegetable stock, gluten free
3 tbsp brown rice

Fry chopped onions and carrots gently in olive oil or butter (I used olive oil) for 15 minutes, in a saucepan, rather than frying pan, then add stock and rinsed, brown rice. Simmer for 25 minutes, then cool a little before blending. I use a stick blender in small bursts. Add seasoning as required. We had ours fairly ‘mild’ at lunch time, but I added curry powder, chili powder, a little garlic pure and tomato pure to my other half’s portion – and it was delicious (I had to taste it).
Serve as it is, with toasted gluten free bread on the side, or garnish with a little coriander or a swirl of single cream.

Tip: Don’t mix Imperial and Metric measures like I did. I initially added a pint of water, instead of a litre, and had to add more at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment